Lynx live in the boreal and montane forests of North America including the northern forests of Canada, Europe and Asia. This quiet hunter generally ranges in size from that of an average domestic cat to six times larger, carrying most of its weight in its heavy torso.
Depletion of its primary prey such as rabbits and other small mammals due to development is an ongoing concern for the lynx. While an adult lynx needs about one rabbit a day to thrive, a mother raising her young needs to catch about three.
Hunting and trapping the lynx for their furs have depleted their numbers in some areas around the world. Habitat destruction and degradation are forcing the lynx to adapt to unfamiliar environments and stresses.
This gift supports WWF-Canada’s work to help the lynx by preserving networks of protected areas across Canada’s North to secure habitat for the species as well as other wildlife. WWF-Canada has a long track record of success in building sustainable development solutions that benefit wildlife, nature and people.
Our Commitment to Environmental and Social Responsibility
At Sunwolf and Fergie’s Cafe, we are committed to responsible tourism and sustainability across our operations. With our connection to nature and the local community, we understand the importance of balancing both our business needs with the social and environmental impacts of our operations. We have joined Green Tourism Canada to indicate our commitment to sustainability and to receive guidance in our long-term goals.
Our staff, management team, and property owners are continually working to implement best-practice strategies to achieve these goals. In our commitment to environmental and social responsibility we aim to:
- Comply with all applicable environmental and employment regulations
- Reduce our waste stream through compost and reduce-reuse-recycling initiatives
- Minimize our energy consumption and overall carbon footprint by installing LED lights and Energy Star appliances and promoting energy saving techniques
- Protect our water sources through conservation techniques and the use of locally made and eco-friendly cleaning products
- Establish robust management systems to monitor energy, waste, and water consumption and work towards long-term sustainability goals
- Prioritize ethical, sustainable and locally-sourced products in all departments to support local businesses, environmentally-friendly production, and to reduce carbon emissions from transport
- Support the local economy, culture and environment by promoting local restaurants, heritage attractions, low-carbon activities, and wildlife viewing ethics among our guests
- Engage staff and guests in our sustainability initiatives to promote a team effort in accomplishing our goal
As a team, we will continually work to improve our environmental, social and economic performance to meet long-term goals for sustainability and to become a leader of Responsible Tourism in the Sea to Sky community.0