We’ve committed to sustainable operations
Today marks the end of an era at Sunwolf as we say goodbye to our hot tub in the trees. While it will be missed by many, we feel in our hearts it’s the right thing to do as we fully commit to reducing our impact on the environment.
In February of this year, Sunwolf was delighted to receive a Gold certification from Green Tourism Canada. This is the highest level award by GTC and formally recognizes the hard work of our team in meeting the stringent sustainability criteria. Of course, there is still a lot more we can do, and we are continuing to make steps, both big and small, to reduce our impact on the environment.
One of the big steps is to remove our hot tub. We know it is a popular amenity so we have not taken this decision lightly. But the combination of high energy use, high water use (we regularly have to empty and refill it) and particularly, the large quantities of chemicals required to keep a commercial hot tub safe for our guests, means that we cannot find a way to keep our hot tub sanitary whilst also meeting our sustainability goals.
If you would like to know more about Sunwolf’s Commitment to Environmental and Social Responsibility please read the letter from our owners below. If you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding our decision, please don’t hesitate to get in touch by email or on our toll free phone number: 1-844-898-1537.
Our Commitment to Environmental and Social Responsibility
At Sunwolf and Fergie’s Cafe, we are committed to responsible tourism and sustainability across our operations. With our connection to nature and the local community, we understand the importance of balancing both our business needs with the social and environmental impacts of our operations. We have joined Green Tourism Canada to indicate our commitment to sustainability and to receive guidance in our long-term goals.
Our staff, management team, and property owners are continually working to implement best-practice strategies to achieve these goals. In our commitment to environmental and social responsibility we aim to:
- Comply with all applicable environmental and employment regulations
- Reduce our waste stream through compost and reduce-reuse-recycling initiatives
- Minimize our energy consumption and overall carbon footprint by installing LED lights and Energy Star appliances and promoting energy saving techniques
- Protect our water sources through conservation techniques and the use of locally made and eco-friendly cleaning products
- Establish robust management systems to monitor energy, waste, and water consumption and work towards long-term sustainability goals
- Prioritize ethical, sustainable and locally-sourced products in all departments to support local businesses, environmentally-friendly production, and to reduce carbon emissions from transport
- Support the local economy, culture and environment by promoting local restaurants, heritage attractions, low-carbon activities, and wildlife viewing ethics among our guests
- Engage staff and guests in our sustainability initiatives to promote a team effort in accomplishing our goal
As a team, we will continually work to improve our environmental, social and economic performance to meet long-term goals for sustainability and to become a leader of Responsible Tourism in the Sea to Sky community.
– Jake and Jess Freese, Owners0